Claire busts out!

I woke up early this morning, which is completely unlike me. I guess I should’ve slept in because there’s no telling when I’ll be able to do that again, but I was very ready to go get my girl.
We got ready and lugged 16 gifts, three cakes, a diaper bag, and a video camera downstairs to Alec’s car. Good thing he has a big car. We weren’t sure what time we’d end up being able to take her because it all depended on what time the paperwork was finished at the courthouse, but luckily it was finished by 10:30. By 11:00, Saule had arrived at the babyhouse with all the official papers saying that Claire is ours forever! We started distributing gifts – first to the babyhouse director and then to Claire’s nannies, caregivers, and doctors. We thanked them for taking such good care of her until we could come and get her. They all said very nice things about her and said that they hoped she would be our pride and joy. Little do they know that she was our pride and joy from the moment we met her.
Leaving the babyhouse wasn’t what I expected. In my mind, people were gathered at the door, waving, crying, and blowing Claire kisses. Perhaps all the children would line up and form a tunnel for Claire to run through (I know she’s barely walking, but it was a nice image). In reality, though, Claire was fussy because she was so tired and hot (once again with the arctic snowsuit) and the woman who takes our coats said, “Congratulations,” on our way out the door. It doesn’t matter, though. We got what we came for, and Justin and I couldn’t be happier with our little girl. The REAL fanfare comes next Saturday, and I hope Claire’s ready for it...marching band and all. No clowns, please. You all know how those freak me out.
We got Claire back to the apartment, stripped her down to her shirt and let her play with her toes until she fell asleep. Is it always this much fun to watch your baby sleep? She got up after about an hour, played in her walker for a bit (great fun!), and ate some chicken and rice baby food. Judging by her reaction, it was quite delicious. Every time the spoon came close to her mouth, she’d give me the biggest, cheesiest, heart-melting smile. This kid is precious. And one day, I’ll learn how to feed her without covering her in whatever she’s eating. After the mess I caused with lunch, I went to the Ramstore to buy more laundry detergent. We’ll probably finish the box by tomorrow. If all the feedings go like this, I’m going to start feeding her in the tub.
Claire is napping again right now and is due to wake up any minute for a scrumptious dinner of turkey, potatoes, and carrots (all in one handy jar!). It’s taking all my willpower not to go wake her up and play with her. Soon enough I’ll be wishing she’d sleep for longer, but for right now, I think I’ll go stare at her until she wakes up.

<< Home