Friday, March 11, 2005

Introduction: World, Baby Claire. Baby Claire, World

The last 24 hours have been a bit of a whirlwind (heck, the last week has been a whirlwind), but everything culminated today with meeting Claire. We had about an hour to play with her today and will visit from 10-12 every day until we gain custody in about five weeks. It was a little iffy this afternoon about whether we’d get to see her today. Our interpreter, Asel (Ah-seal), said that we could only visit if the Babyhouse Director was there. I suggested that we just call before we leave to save a trip if she was already gone, and was told, “Oh, no.” Gosh, I’m so silly. We were both relieved when the Director was there when we arrived. We met with her for about 10 minutes, during which we were supposed to talk about ourselves, but we really just took turns rambling while the other watched the door waiting for Claire to come in.

Her caregiver brought her straight to me and said, “Mama.” I can’t still can’t believe that she’s ours and will be coming home with us, but I have five weeks for that to sink in, I guess.

She was a bit wary of us a first. We could see her little brain thinking, “Who are these funny-speaking strangers and why are they taking so many pictures of me?” She warmed up quickly and soon learned that we are her puppets and exist solely for her amusement. The one time we stopped playing with her and started talking to our interpreter, she started to get fussy, like, “Ahem. Remember me?” Justin immediately took her for an “airplane ride” and our horrible 20-second neglect was forgotten.

Makeshift toys for today were the camera strap (great fun!) and the couch, which she couldn’t stop petting (I know Tucker and Riley will appreciate this soon!). She was very animated when playing with these “toys,” so we look forward to tomorrow, when we’re allowed to bring along things we’ve brought for her.













The software we use for comments is down, so please shoot us an e-mail or post a comment later when it's back up!